Is your house clean during military deployments? Or do you wait for PCS cleaning?
Confession time… My house is not usually clean. It could be because I have 4 crazy kids, so the house is never clean for more than a few minutes. Or maybe I am not very good at cleaning. Sure, I clean my kitchen daily, and vacuum a few times a week, and clean bathrooms every week or so. But I never really get everything clean. All the little details like dusting picture frames and washing curtains and cleaning baseboards are just never really on my to-do list. The good news for me is that–as a military family– we never live in a house for very long. So I figure that even if there are some nooks and crannies that never got a good scrubbing… it’s ok, because we will get them when all the furniture is gone, on check out day. PCS cleaning is better than spring cleaning, Right?
In true military fashion, I don’t always observe holidays at the correct time of year, because the spouse is deployed. (Christmas in February? Yep, we’ve done that!) So I have to admit that Spring cleaning is not likely to happen during this current deployment. But luckily there ARE some events that cause me to jump up and do a really complete cleaning of all. the. things. So even if I don’t do a great job of Spring Cleaning, here are all the times when I do a VERY good job of cleaning:
● The end of deployment! Because of course the husband might notice dust on a ceiling fan after spending 7 months in the Afghan desert! Haha, not really. But I clean it anyway.
● PCS cleaning. Permanent change of station has happened every 3 years so far, and we have learned that dust on furniture doesn’t vanish in the moving process. So PCS cleaning means I clean out and clean up everything. I even wash and scrub all the outdoor furniture.
● Before I have a baby. Nesting is a real pregnancy symptom, when you feel the urge to organize the whole house, and clean underneath the fridge, so you can have some order before the chaos begins! Luckily for me, I had 4 babies in 6 years. So lots of houses got cleaned. Especially when I had a baby during deployment while preparing to PCS…
● A visit from my Mom. My Mom is like a cleaning guru. I learn so much from her. And she reminds me to restock cleaning supplies that I had at the last duty station, but don’t have now. And she can make a kitchen sparkle, even in base housing!
● Before a party. If I invite people over, I usually just vacuum and make sure the bathroom is presentable (you know, by closing the shower curtain!) But if I am having a big party, I may go crazy before hand and wash windows, scrub down the table and chairs, and clean things that normal people probably clean regularly.
So please, someone tell me that I am not alone! Do you forget to deep clean your house sometimes? What are the big events that kick you into gear? Please share!